A Cedar City man was arrested Thursday after he sexually assaulted two teenage victims.
Jakey Joshua Wall, 18, is charged with two second-degree felony count of forcible sexual abuse.
According to the probable cause statement filed in the 5th District Court Friday, a 14-year-old female victim told Cedar City Police that Wall had held her down against her will before sexually assaulting her at his home on Aug. 8. He also groped the juvenile victim.
An 18-year-old victim also reported to police that she had been assaulted by Wall in a similar manner just the day before on Aug. 7, the report said. The second assault also occurred at Wall’s residence in Cedar City.
During a police interview, Wall initially denied the allegations. But he later admitted to investigators that he had assaulted the 18-year-old victim, the report states. He continued to deny sexually abusing the underage victim, though.
Wall remains in the Iron County Jail on a $10,000 bail. An initial court appearance has not been scheduled as of Friday.
One in four females will be sexually abused before they turn 18, according to Prevent Child Abuse Utah. Utah’s child sexual abuse rate is three times the national average. For more information or to seek help, call the rape and sexual assault crisis line at 1-888-411-1100.
The girl told the court that when they met Lombo began asking her if the police ever went there and if there were cameras around, before attacking her.
A judge will decide Wednesday the fate of a teenager who admitted he forcibly raped and robbed a woman in the parking lot of a Johnson City hospital.
The maximum penalty Brandon Corey, who was 16 when the crime was committed April 14, 2016, could receive is 30 years in a state prison. Prosecutors expect to argue that he be locked up for that long.
Now 17, Corey faces sentencing at 9:15 a.m., in front of Broome County Court Judge Joseph Cawley.
Johnson City police said the female hospital employee was walking to her car shortly after midnight April 14, when Corey approached her, showed a knife and tried to rob her. He then raped her, stole her vehicle and cellphone, and fled, according to police.
Corey was arrested a few days after the incident.
Police said the attack was random and that Corey and the woman did not know each other.
Corey pleaded guilty in November to a full indictment: felony counts of first-degree rape, first-degree criminal sexual act, first-degree sexual abuse, first-degree robbery and second-degree robbery, along with a misdemeanor count of fourth-degree criminal mischief. His sentencing date has been delayed since February.
Throughout the criminal case, Corey has been prosecuted as an adult. According to the New York State Unified Court System, a defendant who is 16, 17, or 18 years old can be considered for youthful offender status at the time of sentencing.
Youthful offender seals the defendant's criminal record and the status can be granted when the youth is at least 16 and under 19 at the time the crime was committed.
Police said Corey had a partner, Jacob R. Coish, of Binghamton, in committing the crime.
In July, Coish pleaded guilty to a robbery charge in exchange for an penalty of up to seven years in prison. He is awaiting sentencing in September.
Teen who admitted rape, robbery of UHS employee to learn his fate Anthony Borrelli pressconnects.comAug. 30, 2017
A former UC Santa Barbara student was convicted of violently raping a female UCSB student in February 2014 after he pled guilty to multiple felony counts on Wednesday.
Daniel Jiang Chen, 22, faces a 36-year sentence for two felony counts of rape and one felony count of robbery. He will be sentenced in October.
Chen appeared in formal clothing, wrist shackles and foot restraints for a plea hearing in front of Judge James E. Herman at the Santa Barbara Superior Court on Wednesday. He was convicted of two counts of rape and one count of robbery for stealing the victim’s phone after the attack.
He was also convicted of two special allegations of committing great bodily injury and one of kidnapping with the purpose of committing rape.
In February 2016, Chen pleaded not guilty to both felony rape counts.
Benjamin Ladinig, the prosecutor for the case, questioned Chen during the hearing. Chen admitted to each felony count and special allegation and waived his right to a trial.
The victim, known in the case as Jane Doe, was also present at the hearing.
“She’s very pleased with what happened; she’s very pleased with the plea, and she’s very pleased to have closure,” Ladinig said.
Five witnesses testified against Chen in October 2016. Cynthia Hecox, a registered nurse, examined the victim after the sexual assault. She said she had to leave the room when she saw the woman’s injuries, which included a ruptured ear drum, a broken nose and severe body and vaginal trauma.
Though the victim was psychologically traumatized after the attack, UCSB Police Detective Dawn Arviso described the woman as a “survivor” multiple times during her testimony.
The victim and several witnesses will likely be present at the sentencing hearing in October to gain closure, Ladinig said.
Police located Chen when his DNA sample from an unrelated felony arrest matched evidence from two condoms at the crime scene. Due to the presence of strong DNA evidence and other factors, Ladinig said, Chen’s lawyers negotiated a mutually beneficial agreement before going to trial.
Chen will be registered as a sex offender for life after his sentencing. Due to the nature of his crimes, he will face 15 years of parole after his release from prison.
The sentencing hearing will take place on October 20 at 1:30 p.m. in Department 1 of the Santa Barbara Superior Court.
The victim also filed a civil suit against the UC Regents in January, claiming the location of the attack had dense foliage which allowed the rape to occur.
The UC Regents failed in their initial challenge of the allegations, and attorneys are currently negotiating whether the case will go to trial or end with a settlement.
A 20-year-old Ohio man was arraigned in Fairbanks Superior Court today for raping a 13-year-old.
According to the criminal complaint, on August 14th, Cline was in North Pole babysitting a teen at his mother's house when the girl asked to use his phone.
After he let her, Cline threatened that if she didn't do what he wanted, he would tell on her for using his phone.
After the assault, the victim revealed the abuse to her mother, who reported it to officials.
A 20-year-old Aurora man on probation for blackmailing two women into having sex with him was charged this week with sexual assault.
Maxwell Melgar, of the 800 block of Lafayette Street, was being held without bond at the Kane County jail.
Additional information regarding the felony charge was not immediately available. If convicted, Melgar faces up to 30 years in prison.
Melgar, on probation through mid-November from a 2015 case, was charged this week.
He was charged in January 2015 with intimidation of an 18-year-old and sexual assault of a 20-year-old woman, according to prosecutors.
Melgar was arrested near Fourth Street and Euclid Avenue in Aurora, where authorities say he told an 18-year-old woman to meet him so they could have sex. When he arrived, police were waiting and arrested him.
Melgar was accused of threatening to post nude pictures of the 18-year-old on social media unless she had sex with him. During a search of his cellphone, authorities say they uncovered evidence of a similar crime against the 20-year-old.
Melgar pleaded guilty to felony intimidation in exchange for prosecutors dismissing more severe charges. He was sentenced to probation and 180 days in jail.
In June 2016, Kane County prosecutors moved to have Melgar's probation revoked, citing a May 31 arrest in DuPage County on misdemeanor marijuana charges.
Melgar tested positive for marijuana Feb. 16, March 16 and May 4 in 2016, according to court records. A counselor in October said he completed much of the alcohol and drug counseling and "seems to be taking the counseling process seriously."
Early this year, Judge Marmarie Kostelny ordered Melgar's probation to continue because he had finished counseling and prosecutors dropped their push to revoke probation.
A message left with Matt Downs, an attorney who represented Melgar in 2015, was not immediately returned.
A 14-year-old boy raped a six-year-old boy and sexually abused a child aged just two, a court heard.
He pleaded guilty to raping the six-year-old last August and admitted five further counts of causing or inciting that child into sexual activity in August and in March.
The teenager admitted touching both children indecently at Plymouth Crown Court, where he sat in the well of the court alongside his grandparents.
Reports will be prepared on the youth before he is sentenced but his barrister accepted that custody was ‘ultimately inevitable’.
Prosecutor Miss Jo Martin said the boy had admitted all the offences in a series of three police interviews.
The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was remanded into the care of the city council and placed in a home in Sussex.
The defendant, who has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, will be sentenced in October.
Boy, 14, who raped a six-year-old boy and abused a child aged just TWO is warned a custodial sentence is ‘inevitable’ Rory Tingle For Mailonline 30 August 2017