Post in evidenza

Serial child rapist, killer sentenced to death #JusticeForZainab

LAHORE – An anti-terrorism court on Saturday found Imran Ali, prime accused in Zainab rape and murder in Kasur, guilty and award...


lunedì 5 febbraio 2018


Donald Pack’s victims hugged their loved ones Friday in Teton County District Court after their rapist was sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison for sexually assaulting them in the 1970s.

Judge Marvin Tyler sentenced Pack on two counts of felony rape after hearing more than three hours of arguments and testimony.
“I was home alone that night,” one victim told the court. “I was awakened when I heard my bedroom door open and I looked up and saw someone in a ski mask pointing a gun in my direction. He got his pants down, climbed in my bed and rubbed the gun on my cheek, telling me not to scream and not to make noise.”
Pack’s crimes were committed in 1974 and ’75, but evidence connecting him to one of the rapes wasn’t discovered until 2015, when an investigator was looking into a missing person’s case in which he believed Pack was the suspect.
A special agent found Pack’s semen on a pair of underwear in Jackson Police Department evidence, documents stated.
Pack’s DNA was in the state system because he had been sentenced in 1976 to 15 years in prison for a separate rape that police said took place in Sublette County.
When lab results confirmed Pack’s connection to the Jackson rapes he was arrested at his house in Cheyenne and booked into the Teton County Jail where he posted a $150,000 bond. He told police he committed the rapes for the thrill.
In court his victims confronted Pack and shared their stories for the first time.
“Any sentence you receive will never take away my night terrors, the emotional roller coaster I’ve experienced or give me back my security,” a second victim said, looking Pack in the eyes. “Will I get closure? Perhaps. I do believe my anger will go away and I will finally be in peace.”
The two women detailed how the rapes have affected their lives. They were in their 20s at the time.
“This attacker exploded in and had a black ski mask on and grabbed me by the throat and forced me onto the bed where he raped me,” one victim said. “When I say pure terror, no one knows except another assault victim.”
Toward the end of the hearing Pack addressed the court and his victims.
“I feel compelled to offer these women a humble and heartfelt apology,” Pack said, crying. “In no fault of your own you became a victim of my hand.”
Teton County Prosecuting Attorney Steve Weichman made it clear the state of Wyoming wanted to see Pack sent back to prison.
“They have carried this burden for well over 40 years, never once being able to appreciate society’s acknowledgment as their status as the victims,” Weichman said. “The state urges the court to steer clear of community corrections or other forms of probation and to finally deliver to these deserving victims some sense of closure and justice that they have been denied for all these many years.”
Tom Fleener, Pack’s attorney, called on witnesses to convince the court his defendant is no longer a violent rapist.
“Don Pack is the most honorable client I’ve ever had,” Fleener said.
Fleener asked the court to give Pack probation, saying he learned his lesson the last time he was in prison.
“If the court believes prison is appropriate, recognize that this is a 66-year-old man,” Fleener said.
Tyler had wide latitude in sentencing, anywhere from probation to life behind bars. Ultimately he gave Pack eight to 12 years on both counts, to run concurrently.

SERIAL RAPISTS 37 19 luglio 2017

The convicted murderer who became the first prisoner to be executed in the United States this year reportedly confessed to another 60 rapes in the weeks before the execution.
Anthony Shore, 55, known as the “Tourniquet Killer” for the way he murdered his four victims, was put to death by lethal injection on Jan. 18 in Texas.

The "tourniquet killer" executed in the United States 21 gennaio 2018

In 2004 Shore was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1992 rape and murder of Maria del Carmen Estrada. During the trial he admitted to killing three others: two teenagers and one nine-year-old girl. At least three of the four victims had been raped.
In 1998 Shore became a registered sex offender after being convicted for sexually assaulting two of his relatives.
In his final weeks before the execution, Shore disclosed to the authorities dozens of other sexual assaults he had committed, reported the Houston Chronicle.
Sources told the Chronicle that authorities believed there were roughly 60 rapes committed by Shore.
While he did not remember any details, Shore reportedly revealed that he went to bars, seduced and drugged victims with Rohypnol, and then raped them in the back of his van.
The former wrecker driver also admitted to two copycat style attacks in the 1970s, in which he mirrored assaults carried out by the East Area Predator in California.
One woman, who asked not to be identified, told the Chronicle that Shore “drugged and date-raped me.”
A 2007 book “The Strangler” by Corey Mitchell investigated Shore’s crimes and revealed that his ex-wife suspected that Shore drugged and raped her while they were married.
Shore’s sisters as well as his long-term prison pen pal believe the author’s claims.
Shore’s youngest sister Laurel Scheel told the Chronicle: “Everywhere we lived, there was a rapist.
“I doubt it ends at 60.”
Shore’s pen pal turned close friend, a woman known only as Lea, said: “There were a lot of rapes going back to when he was a teenager in California,” reported the Chronicle.
“A lot of the rapes he had said he just didn’t know their names.”
The Harris County District Attorney’s Office said they were reviewing the claims.
This is not the first time Shore had made admissions prior to a scheduled execution. Late last year, he had his execution stalled after making bogus confessions to other crimes.

‘Tourniquet Killer’ Admits to 60 Additional Rapes Before Execution Cathy Zhang January 24, 2018

A woman has died two years after she was raped with a broken tree branch by a serial rapist. 

Anna Barmina suffered significant damage to her internal organs after being attacked by Gizar Ziyangareev in a case that shook Russia.

The 33-year-old never recovered from her injuries which caused a heart attack and left her in a coma. She regained consciousness nearly a year after the attack, but never spoke again as a result of acute trauma. Anna also never left her hospital bed and lost significant amounts of weight.

She was one of four women attacked in the same week by Ziyangareev who is now serving a 23-year prison sentence – the longest ever handed down in Russia for rape. He raped the women shortly after being released from prison where he was serving a sentence for violent sexual attacks on a neighbour and an underage girl.

When he raped Anna, he also stole her laptop and mobile along with around £745 in cash. Anna’s mother Natalia called him an ‘inhuman monster’ and called for the death penalty while local police said they had never come across such a brutal and cruel attack. Ziyangareev had one month cut from his sentence after telling the court that he had three dependent children and an elderly mother who he wanted to support.

Speaking after his sentencing, Natalia said: ‘I just cannot understand how the court could give such a lenient term. Anna will never get up, she will never speak. And he will get out of jail one day and continue to rape.’ Anna’s family said the reduction in his jail term, even by a month, sends out the wrong signal.

Her cousin Adel Galiev said: ‘The family is indignant at the arrogance of this person. ‘How does he dare, after all that he did, ask for some kind of mitigation of his punishment while covering himself with his children and mother? ‘Especially since he is a repeat rapist.’ 

And unnamed police investigator who detained Ziyangareev said: ‘He told me he does not regret anything he did.’ He added that it would never be possible to ‘cure’ him.

A man who carried out more than 100 rapes and sexual assaults in his taxi is to be released from prison after serving just 10 years. 

John Worboys gave passengers in his black cab drug-laced drinks before attacking them.

He was jailed for a minimum of eight years in 2009 after being convicted of 19 offences. Many of his victims were young women who had been drinking in trendy night spots in the West End and Chelsea. The cabbie offered them Champagne spiked with powerful sedatives to celebrate a fictional lottery win, backed up with a carrier bag stuffed full of cash.

The drugs left the women insensible and unable to protect themselves as he pounced on them in the back of the vehicle. He has been released after a case hearing in November in which the Parole Board agreed to allow him to go free with ‘stringent’ conditions. Worboys, who is now 60, will not be allowed to contact any of his victims and has to report to probation staff on a weekly basis. If he breaches any of his conditions he will be sent back to prison.

The Parole Board said: ‘We can confirm that a three-member panel of the Parole Board has directed the release of Mr John Worboys, following an oral hearing. ‘The arrangements for Mr Worboys’ release will be managed by the Ministry of Justice.’ 

The 51-year-old London cabbie bragged of a remarkable 13-year career as a stripper working under the title ‘Terry the Minder’. Stage performances, hen nights and kissograms across London and the South East gave him access to hundreds of women. Worboys worked six days a week, including Sunday lunchtimes, when he paraded at packed gay bars and pubs.

Combined with work as a security guard and cab driver, Worboys earned thousands of pounds every week and lived like a pop star. 

In 2006 Worboys even recorded an amateur hardcore porn film, based on a wedding scenario under another assumed name. It was not a smash hit, with a reviewer noting Worboys is one of a ‘group of ageing guys who look and sound like extras from the cast of EastEnders’. 

As his barrister said, a male stripper has a ‘limited shelf life’ and Worboys gave up the stage in 1999, aged 42. He turned to cab driving full-time and it was several years later that police believe he first began to sexually assault women

Kathy Martin, 44, who had been his girlfriend for a year at the time of his arrest, said she had no idea of his ‘double life’. She said he gave no clues about his predatory night-time activities and she was left dumbstruck when police knocked on her door. But Miss Martin, who ultimately offered to give evidence against Worboys, said his defence was ‘laughable’ and full of lies. She said: ‘He is a good conman, but I think he has conned himself. He thought he pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes.’ 

Miss Martin said she knew of Worboys’ stripping past, but said he was a plain, sometimes boring man, who spent most of his time working. She said: ‘He was a completely ordinary guy. If you asked me to make a list of 50 people who could be guilty of this, he would be at the bottom.’ 

Publicity photographs of Worboys taken in the 1980s and 1990s show him with a broad grin and a peroxide blond-tinted ‘mullet’ haircut. The party crowd was a remarkable change of scene for the former milkman and junior Hertfordshire dairy manager. He posed for glossy shots dressed in American-style police uniforms, tuxedos, satin underwear and bright rubber-look outfits. 

His colourful past was a huge contrast with his sober dress and constant downcast expression in court. Worboys choked back tears as he marked the anniversary of passing ‘the knowledge’ to become a London hackney cab driver. It became clear he saw himself as a ‘white knight’ who was actually the victim of inappropriate advances. 

Worboys admitted he would approach women who had often been drinking while circling central London streets looking for fares. He claimed to offer them cut-price lifts home because he feared they would be prey to illegal minicabs. He said: ‘The circumstances were, at the end of the day, I wanted to get these women home safely, which I would always do.’ 

Worboys admitted plying them with champagne and selling them false stories and even having sex with some women in the back of the cab and at their homes. Investigators suspected Worboys was sexually aroused by combing through detailed witness statements ahead of the trial. And in one comment in court, Worboys suggested he was disappointed he could not see his victims as they gave evidence behind screens. 

Detective Inspector Dave Reid, who led the inquiry, said the lustful cab driver ‘fed off’ the publicity that surrounded his trial. He said: ‘He has subjected women to an absolutely appalling series of offences. ‘Having dealt with the women who gave evidence, his refusal to accept what he has done and his insistence on putting them through the ordeal of giving evidence in the Crown Court, coupled with horrific suggestions of what they did to him – I think it is appalling.’

Sexual assaults by taxi drivers 30 dicembre 2017

Prosecutors said 25-year-old Kaquawn Lane kidnapped and raped four women over a three week period in 2016.
He pleaded guilty to kidnapping all of them, and raping two. As part of that plea deal, he faced 95 years in prison.
But before the judge issued Lane's sentence, the prosecutor praised the 16-year-old victim who helped solve the case.
"The state of Ohio owes debt of gratitude to the youngest and most recent victim," said prosecutor Kacey Chappelear. "She was extraordinarily brave and quick-thinking in the face of a horrific event that happened to her. She was able to get the license plate of the car that abducted her, which led the police in a city-wide effort to identify the defendant."
Once Lane was identified as her attacker, prosecutors say DNA linked him to three other unsolved rapes.
Thursday the mother of that 16-year-old detailed the horror her daughter still lives with.
"What happened to my daughter was unimaginably gruesome for a 16-year-old to have to deal with for the rest of her life. She's definitely not the same person anymore," she said.
Two other victims, who 10TV is not identifying, also faced down their fears and their attacker.
"I really want him to go to jail for the rest of his life," said one. "I don't even feel like 95 years is enough time. I really don't. I really don't. Because he is a scumbag. He is a disease to the earth."
A third victim was only visiting Columbus when Lane kidnapped and raped her at gunpoint. She traveled from Minnesota to make sure her voice was heard.
"He took a part of me, in some sense, that I don't think I'll ever be able to get back. But being here today is allowing me to put those pieces back together."
Lane initially professed remorse.
"I'd like to apologize to every one of these victims," he said. "I apologize for the damage and hurt that I've caused these women. And I just pray and hope that these women can heal from the damage and hurt and things that I've caused them."
His tune changed sharply after Judge Stephen McIntosh sentenced him to 77 years in prison, initially stated as 72 years.
Lane refused to sign a form requiring him to register as a sex offender for life.
"I got 72 years!" he said. "What do I need to sign a registry for? I don't care about the law. F*** the law."
"I don't care about the registry right now, Mr. Lane," said McIntosh, trying to explain the reason for his sentence.
Lane's attorney, John Graceffo tried multiple times to get Lane to be quiet.
"If you keep talking, it could get worse. It could get worse," Graceffo said.
"I will die in prison!" Lane yelled. "Give me the maximum! Give me the maximum! I will die in prison! Give me 72 years? I will die in prison!"
His outburst and refusal changed nothing. Extra deputies were dispatched to the courtroom during Lane's extended outburst. He was then escorted back to jail.

Six of 10 women who have accused a White Township man of rape testified about their experiences of being picked up by the man in Beaver Falls and taken to a second location where they say they were assaulted.
Jonathan D. Vance, 32, is accused of raping the women at different points over a 15-month period beginning in 2016. The six women testified over the course of a two-day preliminary hearing before District Judge Janet Swihart. 
All six of the women said that, at the time of their respective assaults, they were regularly accepting money for sex. Most of the women said they were addicted to drugs at the time.
Four more women are expected to testify during a third day of the hearing, which is yet to be scheduled.
Initially, the prosecution intended to bring 12 cases before the court. The number of victims was reduced to 10 after one victim died and a second moved to refile the case in Butler County.
The first two victims, a 45-year-old Ellwood City woman and a 55-year-old Beaver Falls woman, testified on Dec. 11. Both women said they were raped by Vance after he picked them up in Beaver Falls.
In both cases, according to testimony, Vance took the women to Grandview Cemetery in North Sewickley Township where he raped them, then left them without a way home.
The hearing continued and four women took the stand to described their respective assaults. The majority of those women were also assaulted at Grandview Cemetery, they said.
In one case, a 33-year-old New Brighton woman testified that during a consensual sex-for-pay act, Vance held a knife to her throat and threatened to hurt her. In the process of assaulting her, the woman said Vance dropped his knife. When she went to reach for it, Vance grabbed the blade. The woman testified she grabbed his hand and squeezed it, cutting them both.
Vance then got up, attempted to push her, and fled in his van, she said. Just before he drove away, the woman realized her phone was in her car and attempted to grab onto the door handle. She testified her hand caught on the handle and she was pulled a few feet as the van drove off.
She said other belongings, including a food stamps card and a medical card, were left in Vance’s van. Pennsylvania State Police Cpl. Kevin Cramer testified investigators found an Access Card and health insurance card bearing that victim’s name near the entrance of the cemetery.
Another victim, a 31-year-old woman from Beaver Falls, testified Vance took her to the cemetery, pulled her out of his van and raped her.
“I thought I was going to die,” she said. “I was screaming from fear and hate.”
The woman testified Vance put his hand over her mouth to muffle her screams. She bit his hand and a tussle between them ensued. Eventually, she said, she was able to run away. The woman later saw Vance drive past her and out of the cemetery.
“He was just watching me run,” she said.
The woman testified she called 911 from the scene of the crime, but was never met by police. According to a police report, officers were sent to the area but found no one was there.
“I did call the police, then nobody ever came,” he said.
A 33-year-old Beaver Falls woman testified she had previously engaged in consensual sex with Vance for money several times before he raped her at Big Rock Park in New Brighton. The woman said she believed she was going with Vance to exchange of money for sex.
He choked her and held a knife to her throat against her will, she said. During the assault, she told Vance to stop, she said. According to the woman, he told her she “wasn’t getting paid anyway.”
When asked why she didn’t immediately contact police at the time of the assault, the woman said officers “wouldn’t have believed me anyway.” Most of the other women made similar comments.
A 26-year-old Beaver Falls woman also testified she was raped by Vance at Grandview Cemetery. She later saw his vehicle again in Beaver Falls and was able to take down his license plate number. She later provided police with the number.
Cramer said Vance was arrested in August and participated in a 45-minute interview with police. He told officers they arrested the wrong person, Cramer said.
After his arrest, police searched his home and car. In his home, officers found guns, knives and cell phones. In his car, they found three car seats, zip ties and clothing.
Of the six cases, Swihart dismissed one count of rape, two counts of indecent deviant sexual intercourse and one count of aggravated assault. All other charges were held for trial.
A man who previously bragged about sexually assaulting hundreds of women will spend another 11 years in prison.
Thursday a Franklin County judge sentenced Edwin Zimmerman to the maximum possible.
A jury convicted him of kidnapping in October.
Zimmerman's record of sexual violence against women dates back to the 1980's.
In 2007 he bragged to police that he'd been with 700 to 800 prostitutes and that he couldn't remember how many of them he had raped.
He was only out of prison for six months on December 31, 2016, when prosecutors say he picked up a woman on the south side of Columbus, drove her to a remote area, and pulled a knife on her.
Judge Jenifer French called Zimmerman the "the worst kind of predator" because he preys on some of our community's "most vulnerable."
Even when facing sentence, Zimmerman maintained his innocence.
"I would not take a plea deal for something I didn't do," he said. "And I will not show remorse and I will not beg this court for mercy. You do what you do, I gotta do what I do. if I do get the max, I can live with that. I'm at peace with myself because i know I did the right thing."
"If I had 25 years to sentence you to, I would," said French. "Because I believe the minute you hit the streets, you're going to do the same thing again, as you have proven on two other occasions. I don't have that time. I only have 11 years, which frankly isn't sufficient. But it is what I will do."

10TV interviewed Zimmerman's victim and Zimmerman himself from his jail cell.
You can watch those stories, and our coverage of his long criminal history:

A three-month old unsolved rape case at the College of Charleston still haunts students. Police say the rape happened at one of the residence halls where ID’s are scanned and guests are supposed to be signed in.
But nearly three months later --- no one has been arrested. And after a series of assaults last week, the question is why?
Investigators say they have no new leads on the sexual assault at the College of Charleston's campus that happened October 27. Now it has students taking a hard look at security on their campus.
“It happened at a residency hall which has people sitting at the front desk. There is no way he couldn't get in without swiping his ID. And we don't know who it was. He must have been a student or just another college student from visiting we don't know,” says CofC student Lucy Renneker.
For college students, the dorm rooms are a place of refuge.
According to a public statement from the College of Charleston the rape was reported north of Calhoun street down from St Philip.
There are four residence halls that match that description. Berry, McAlister, Kelly and Warren. As the students mentioned, we witnessed strict protocol at these residencies: including signing in guests and scanning ids.
College of Charleston student Jemyah Renrick says, “I find it terrible because I just feel like someone has to know because for anyone to be in the dorm you have to be signed in so someone has to know who the person is.”
According to the advocacy group People Against Rape, the name of the residency hall is probably withheld to protect the survivor of the attack.
“It boils down to the confidentiality of the survivor the more personally identifying information that people know about an incident meaning location, time, date, they can identify who that survivor is,” said Janie Lauve, the Exec. Dir. of People Against Rape.
And with no suspects in custody, the fear that it could happen again on campus is concerning says Lauve, it's one of the reasons she is a big proponent for testing rape kits.
Lauve says, “If it's a he said she said with five different women then you have a serial rapist on your hands and you will never get that information unless you test the kits.”
Last year there was a bill proposed to do exactly that- track sexual assault testing kits by SLED, but it did not pass the South Carolina State Legislature.
However there are federal initiatives also looking to track these rape kits.
The murderer of model Sally Anne Bowman has been given two further life sentences for raping two other women.
Mark Dixie, now 47, was jailed for at least 34 years in 2008 for repeatedly stabbing 18-year-old Miss Bowman, before raping her as she lay dead or dying in south London in 2005.
Dixie confessed to detectives in 2015 he was responsible for more attacks, including one when he was a teenager.
Senior investigating officer Chris Le Pere described Dixie as “a monster”.
Outside court Mr Le Pere said although the Metropolitan Police had no evidence to link the former pub chef to any other rapes or murders, “with my experience, I would find it very surprising if he had not done something extremely serious we don‘t know about”.
Friday‘s sentencing hearing was told Dixie targeted his first victim when he was 16 while she was sitting in her own car in an isolated south London car park.
He then tied her up inside and set the vehicle on fire.
The victim said he “seemed delighted in her evident fear” as she became hysterical, fearing she was going to die.
She managed to free herself and raised the alarm, Southwark Crown Court was told in July.

‘Utterly petrified‘

However, she was left “utterly petrified”, when she received two chilling phone calls from her attacker in the following days, the court was told.
In a victim impact statement, she said: “I didn‘t seek counselling, I had survived, I was in one piece. I just wanted to get on with life.”
The second attack, in 2002, saw him bludgeon a woman with a chef‘s steel, normally used to sharpen kitchen knives, before telling her “I‘m going to kill you” and molesting her.
She managed to escape when Dixie was interrupted by a man who heard her screams.
The court heard Dixie took his victim‘s mobile phone during the attack and later boasted to her ex-boyfriend in a call: “I‘ve battered her. I‘ve battered her. I‘ve left her by the railway.”
The Sally Anne Bowman murder
In the early hours of 25 September 2005, Sally Anne Bowman, an 18-year-old hairdresser and model, was murdered near her home in Croydon, south London.
Returning from a night out, she was stabbed in the neck and stomach and then raped as she lay dead or dying.
She had been dropped off by her ex-boyfriend Lewis Sproston who police arrested but later released without charge.
The murder remained unsolved until June 2006, when local man Mark Dixie was arrested following a fight at the pub where he worked as a chef.
DNA taken from a swab linked him to the case and he was charged with the murder.
During the Old Bailey trial Dixie, admitted to having sex with Miss Bowman after finding her on the ground outside her home, but denied murdering her.
He was found guilty of Miss Bowman‘s murder and was sentenced to life in jail with a minimum term of 34 years.
Father-of-three Dixie admitted charges of rape, indecent assault and grievous bodily harm during a hearing on 26 July.
In January 2015 the killer, who had pleaded not guilty throughout his first trial, finally confessed to the murder.
Dixie wrote to police saying he wanted to “tell the truth” about what happened to Miss Bowman, before telling detectives he had killed her in a frenzied attack that included biting her after she fled from her boyfriend‘s car in a row.
Later, while being interviewed by police, he said he had not raped or murdered anybody before.
However, he went on to admit two further attacks after he was told by the investigating officer: “That‘s not entirely true. I know something you did in 1987.”
By the time Dixie was jailed for Miss Bowman‘s murder, he had already been convicted of indecent exposure and indecent assault in the UK.
He was also responsible for another sex attack in Australia, where he had lived for six years.
Dixie has also admitted a serious sexual assault in Spain in 2005, his barrister Andrew Mooney said.
Mr Le Pere said Dixie was still “very dangerous”, adding: “I would be very surprised if he would ever not pose a threat to the public or a danger to the public.
“But that‘s for other people to decide.”

SERIAL RAPISTS 38 29 luglio 2017

The police in Ogun State have arrested two brothers, Paul Jibunor and Nkoenye Jibunor, for serial rape and robbery.
The  Command Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the suspects were arrested on  December 31 following a complaint by one of their victims at Ojodu Abiodun police division.
According to the complainant, she was picked in a taxi by three men on December 29 from Fela’s Africa Shrine in Oregun, Lagos State to Iwo Street, Ojodu Abiodun on an agreed fee.
She said the three men then dragged her out of their car, raped her and dispossessed her of her belongings.
She stated further that she later sighted the three men at Adebayo area of Ojodu and was able to recognise them.
“Upon her report, the DPO Ojodu Abiodun, Sp Bamidele Job, detailed detectives to the area where two of the suspects were arrested while the third one escaped,” Mr. Oyeyemi said.
He said on interrogation, the suspects confessed to the crime. He said further investigation revealed that the suspects had been involved in a series of rape cases around that area.
He said their mode of operation was to use Uber taxi to pick their victims to isolated areas where such victims are raped in turn before dispossessing them of their belongings.
“Some of the victim’s properties such as necklace, phone and wrist watch were recovered from them,” Mr. Oyeyemi added.
He said the Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Iliyasu, ordered the suspects to be transferred to the State Criminal investigation and intelligence Department for investigation and prosecution, and that the escaped member of the group be hunted down and brought to justice.
Two brothers arrested for alleged serial rape January 4, 2018 Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

Brothers in soup over alleged serial rape in a taxi Jan 5 2018

(CNS): Jeffery Barnes (38) was given a 35-year prison term Friday, in connection with the terrifying sexual attack on a woman in her George Town home in 2011

This was Barnes third rape conviction, in addition to sexual assaults and a long history of violent crime. Following his conviction in 2013 he was given a life sentence as a result of the serious nature of the crime and his repeat sexual offending. Following the introduction of the Conditional Release Law, Barnes, like all lifers, was entitled to have that life term defined.
However, as Barnes’ life term was a discretionary sentence set by the judge and not, as is the case in all murders, a mandatory life term, his earliest possible release date will be based on 60% of the 35-year life sentence.
But the judge made it very clear, and said he did not want it to be misunderstood, that the sentence remained a life sentence. He warned the prisoner that he should be under no illusion that after he has served 21 years that he would be released. Justice Charles Quin said that would be a decision for the Conditional Release Board entrusted to make the determination about his continued imprisonment and whether he posed a danger to society. Given the circumstances of the crime and Barnes’ attitude towards his offending, it was extremely unlikely that he would reach a point where he would no longer pose a threat to women.
Even after serving the full 35 years, Barnes could still be detained in custody because any release for lifers is based on rehabilitation and their risk to society.
Barnes’ crime was described by the judge as “extreme and grave”; he said there was evidence of pre-planning and the woman had endured a terrifying ordeal, which she said in the victim impact report had ruined her life and forever changed her.
The rape took place in the early hours of the morning in October 2011, when Barnes broke into the victim’s home and she awoke to find him lying on top of her holding a knife to her throat. He subjected her to a terrifying sexual attack that lasted several hours, and at one point placed the knife to her genitals and threatened to cut her if she did not comply.
After the attack Barnes remained in the woman’s home and allowed her to go out to work, telling her to come back to him later. He said there was no point in her going to the police as the RCIPS was not able to solve any crimes. However, the woman went straight to friends and then fled to her home in Jamaica, never returning to the apartment. She reported the incident some time later.
Earlier in the month Barnes had also abducted and raped a woman after he picked her up from a bus stop, having offered to give her a lift. He pleaded guilty to that crime before he was tried for the case in which he received the life term. Barnes’ first conviction for rape was in 2001, when he was given a ten-year jail term.

Serial rapist receives 35-year life term Cayman News | 02/02/2018 

Stephret Harvey, 40, was sentenced to a total of 40 years in connection to the kidnap and rape of two teenage women in separate attacks in the early 2000s after pleading guilty to two counts each of forcible rape and second-degree kidnapping Monday (Jan. 22).

Harvey was originally charged with two counts each of first-degree rape and aggravated kidnapping and was faced with a mandatory life-sentence if found guilty as charged. Instead, Harvey agreed to a deal with the District Attorney's office, which lessened the charges and sentence in exchange for a guilty plea.

Court records show Harvey was previously accused in another rape case in November 1990. In June 1991, Harvey accepted a plea agreement with then District Attorney Harry Connick, in which he was offered a sentence of four years for one count of armed robbery.

Harvey was indicted earlier that year on one count of second-degree rape and two counts of armed robbery, court records show. The rape and one of the robbery charges was dropped as part of Harvey's agreement with Connick's office.

It appears Harvey was released from prison in November 1994, about six years before he committed the first of two rapes he admitted to.

On the night of Nov. 22, 2000, a 19-year-old woman was walking near Esplanade and Rampart avenues when Harvey dragged her into his car and drove her to an unknown location and raped her inside the car, the District Attorney's office said in a news release Monday.

"It's been 18 years, and nobody's taken it seriously until now," the victim said in a statement released by the DA's office.

Connick's office previously refused to charge Harvey in this case, arguing the victim and her friend who was also abducted with her were uncooperative during the investigation, according to the DA's office. However, the DA's office said in a statement the victim in that case disputed those claims and was planning to testify had Harvey gone to trial Monday.

Less than three years after Harvey avoided conviction in the 2000 case, he was accused yet again.

In June of 2003, Harvey grabbed an 18-year-woman by the neck as she was walking in the 2500 block of Elysian Fields Avenue and forced her into an alley, according to the DA's office. Harvey told the woman he had a gun, then raped and robbed her in the alley before running away.

Investigators connected Harvey to the June 2003 rape through a DNA profile taken from the victim. The profile matched Harvey's, which was stored in a federal DNA database, according to the DA's office.

That same month, Harvey was accused of kidnapping a different woman from Coliseum Street, forcing her to drive to a motel where he choked her and robbed her of $300. The woman escaped and identified Harvey, who was found guilty of first-degree robbery and simple kidnapping, the DA's office said.

A woman also accused Harvey of assaulting her and attempting to kidnap her on Frenchman Street in December 2001, but that case was dropped due to complications with "police identification procedure," according to the DA's office.

According to the DA's statement, District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro and prosecuting attorney Inga Petrovich recognized at least three sexually motivated attacks could have been avoided if Harvey had been convicted in 1990 or again in 2000.

"This, unfortunately, shows what can happen with these types of offenders if prosecutors don't follow through and get the conviction or if witnesses don't want to cooperate," Petrovich said in the statement. "In this case, the victim said she was willing all along to testify. But prosecutors under a previous regime weren't interested in pursuing the case."

Cannizzaro commended the victim for her "courage and tenacity," during the lengthy process of convicting Harvey.

"She didn't give up, and neither did we. We only wish she could have seen justice earlier and without any other women being victimized," Cannizzaro said. "At least now we are confident that this sexual predator won't be able to hurt any other women ever again."

OAKLAND — He told nearly all his victims the same things: They had made a mistake getting into the car with him. Then, he proceeded to force his victims including 14- and 15-year-old girls to perform sex acts, a prosecutor said.
Prosecutor Amanda Chavez called Eljarod Lawson, 37, a “serial rapist” in her opening statements at the Rene C. Davidson Courthouse, who “preys on young and vulnerable” women.
Lawson is accused of several charges including rape, forcible oral copulation, sodomy, with enhancements including kidnapping and personal use of a firearm for allegations involving three victims from 2007 to 2016.
He would either kidnap the young girls or lure them into his care, sexually assault them, before dumping them back on the streets of Oakland, Chavez said.
This grown man who preys on young women … is a serial rapist who violently sexually assaulted young women over the course of nine years,”  Chavez said.
The first victim, referred to as “Jane Doe 3” was walking in an area of International Boulevard in Oakland on Sept. 18, 2007, running errands on her way to a dollar store, when she noticed she was being followed by a gray Pathfinder car. Suddenly, a man got behind her and forced her into the car, the DA said.
Once inside the car, he wrapped her hair around his fist, so that he could further control her, said Chavez, demonstrating for the jury with her own hair.
He threatened to kill her and forced himself onto her in allegations that include rape, oral copulation and sodomy. Then, he “simply pushed her out of the car,” partially undressed, and drove off. Jane Doe 3 was able to get a partial license plate, before running to a nearby auto body shop for help.
But it would be eight more years before her kidnapper and rapist would be arrested by Oakland police and charged with multiple crimes.
The three victims, who did not know each other, had similar stories.
Jane Doe 1 encountered the defendant in November or December 2015. The 14-year-old girl was being sexually and commercially exploited as a sex worker in the area of International Boulevard and 38th Street when she got into the car with Lawson, Chavez said.
In her instance, he said “Do you know what you’ve done?” when she got into the car, the prosecutor said. Once in the car, he hit her in the face, and pulled her hair — similar to the allegations of the other victim.
He forced her to orally copulate him, raped her and choked her until she passed out. But when the 14-year-old girl woke up and tried to escape, naked, Lawson hit her with his car, got out, picked her up, put her back inside the car — and forced her to orally copulate him again, Chavez said.
But in defense attorney Matt Fregi’s opening statements, he told the jury of seven women and five men to keep an open mind and not rush to judgment. He said his client is not a rapist or kidnapper.
He argued that one victim, Jane Doe 1, formed an “elaborate lie.” Other witness testimony didn’t add up, pointing out gaps from the alleged victim, such that she allegedly took photos of her injuries after the incident and sent them to people, but they “mysteriously disappeared.”
Jane Doe 2, a 15-year-old, sexually exploited girl, was also working the area of International Boulevard and 38th in Oakland on April 16, 2016, the prosecution said. She agreed to get into the defendant’s car for a “car date” but once inside, he told her she had messed up getting into a car with a pimp.
He told her she needed to “pay taxes” — and forced her to orally copulate him, and then raped her, all while she was crying, Chavez said.
The three victims identified Lawson — a 6-foot-5 man weighing more than 300 pounds — in police photo lineups as their perpetrator.
Fregi said that the victims claimed his client pulled their hair very hard, yet no hair evidence was found in Lawson’s car.
The trial continues.
Oakland trial begins for alleged ‘serial rapist’ accused of assaulting sexually exploited children ANGELA RUGGIERO | Bay Area News Group January 29, 2018

It was a case that made headlines in America: the teenager who was raped, the police who did not believe her – and the two female detectives who finally uncovered the truth. This exposé of police incompetence and betrayal went viral and won a Pulitzer prize – and is now the subject of a Netflix true-crime drama

The hunt for a serial rapist

Ti piace?

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...