Police say there could be more victims of sex monster who left women 'terrified to leave their homes' SCARLET HOWES 19 APR 2017
A vile rapist who refused to sit in court for his trial has been convicted of a near three decade- long catalogue of violence against a number of women.
Kenneth Watt (46) was absent from the dock when jurors at the High Court in Edinburgh convicted him today (Tuesday) of brutalising females over a 27-year period.
The brute, of Kirkcaldy, had earlier disrupted proceedings by shouting from the dock. This forced judge Lord Brailsford to adjourn his trial for 24 hours. He then sacked his lawyer and told his new legal representative that he wouldn’t be present in court to hear his victims tell the court of how he abused them.
Lord Brailsford then gave permission for the trial to go ahead. Jurors heard how he repeatedly physically abused his first victim between February 1988 and October 1997. The court heard how he repeatedly raped the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, on various occasions between February 1988 and November 1994 at locations in his home town.
Watt, who has several previous convictions for dishonesty, then started preying on a girl aged four, subjecting her to violent physical and sexual assaults between February 1990 and February 1997.
Between June 2004 and June 2007, Watt also repeatedly assaulted another woman, who also cannot be named for legal reasons. He also raped her in late 2005. Watt then repeatedly battered another woman between July 2013 and December 2015. Police launched an investigation into Watt’s activities and managed to collect enough evidence to arrest him.
But Watt assaulted Detective Constable Lesley Anne Couper at Kirkcaldy Police Office in June 2016 before refusing to provide her colleagues with his fingerprints and a DNA sample. On Tuesday, jurors convicted Watt of rape, sexual assault and physical assault charges. He was also convicted of attempting to pervert the course of justice by refusing to comply with police requests to provide them with his fingerprints and DNA.
Following conviction, Lord Brailsford told jurors that they had heard evidence in what was a “highly unusual” trial. Deferring sentence for the court to obtain reports into Watt’s character, Lord Brailsford added: “I have never conducted a case in 11 years on the bench in which an accused person has been absent from proceedings.”
Watt targeted all his victims at various addresses in Kirkcaldy, Fife,. one victim told jurors about how Watt raped her on one occasion in late 2005 in a derelict building in Kirkcaldy’s East March Street. She said: “He told me he was going to stab me. I was scared. I was very scared. “I said ‘please no, please no, not here. Not like this.” But the court heard how Watt ignored her pleas.
Following the jury’s verdict, prosecution lawyer Keith Stewart QC revealed that Watt had previous convictions for dishonesty. Lord Brailsford said Watt’s latest convictions showed there had been an “escalation” in his offending behaviour and deferred sentence for the court to obtain reports.
Watt will be sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh on May 16 2017. Detective Inspector James Leeson of Fife Division’s Domestic Abuse Investigation Unit said: “The suffering that Kenneth Watt inflicted on his victims over the largest part of his life is deplorable. His arrest came as a result of a thorough police investigation. “However, I want to commend the courage of the women who were brave enough to come forward and give evidence against him which has been crucial in securing this conviction. “I would like to thank each of these individuals for all of their assistance and support throughout our enquiries and the subsequent court trial. I hope that they can take some comfort following today’s verdict and begin to move forward with their lives.
“Police Scotland is wholly committed to tackling all cases of domestic abuse that are reported and other associated violent offences. We will continue to work alongside our partners at the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service in order to bring relevant offenders to justice.”
If you have concerns or information about domestic abuse these can be reported to Police Scotland on 101 or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A Fife man facing a series of rape and sexual assault allegations against five women has been branded a “complete monster”.
Neil Ireland has gone on trial at the High Court in Dunfermline accused of sex crimes committed in various parts of Fife between 2008 and last year. It is alleged that Ireland (39) of Methil, sexually assaulted five women, including ten offences of rape.
He is accused of raping a woman on two occasions when she had her baby in the bed with her. The first witness told the court she was raped by Ireland on three occasions, fell pregnant with his child and gave birth to a daughter who was taken straight into care from birth.
Charges against Ireland include: On January 30, 2008 at an address in Cupar he indecently assaulted a woman. On various occasions between January 1 and June 30 at a different address in Cupar he assaulted another woman and raped her on three occasions. Between January 11 and January 31, 2012 in Tayport he sexually assaulted a third woman, who was pregnant, while she was asleep,
On various occasions between April 11 and May 1, 2013 in Cupar he assaulted a fourth woman and raped her three times. On various occasions between the same dates he assaulted the same woman, detained her in a flat against her will, punched and slapped her face, back and legs, seized hold of her arms, seized hold of her neck, pinning her against a wall, all to her injury.
On various occasions between July 2 and December 22, 2015 at addresses in Methil, Leven and Dysart, he assaulted the same woman and raped her on three occasions. It is alleged that the woman was in bed with her baby daughter on two of these occasions.
It is further alleged that Ireland sexually assaulted a fifth woman in Methil on various occasions between April 1 and December 31, 2015. On an occasion between November 1 and November 30 2015 at his home in Methil he raped the same woman while she was asleep. On December 5, 2015 at his home he sexually assaulted the same woman. The trial before Lord Uist continues.
The Fayetteville Police Department is looking for a serial rapist tied to 11 rapes.
The incidents happened between June 24, 2009 and July 17, 2010, in Fayetteville, Hope Mills, and Cumberland County - usually happening during the hours of 9 p.m. and 7:15 a.m., according to authorities.
"He was a predator," said Fayetteville Police Lt. John Somerindyke. "He picked his prey very carefully. He did some prior recon obviously, you know as far as peeping into windows, seeing these ladies' routines. He was stalking them, he was a predator, he knew the routines, then he struck middle of the night early morning when nobody was up, and raped each of these women."
Officials said the suspect's DNA was recovered at several of the crime scenes and was put into the National DNA Database.
The suspect has been described as an African American man in his 20s (could be in his 30s now), with a slender to medium build, standing between 5'9" to 6' tall and weighing around 160 to 200 pounds.
Police said his hair was covered most of the time during the incidents, so he could possibly have shoulder length or slightly longer dreadlocks.
He was reportedly wearing a black do-rag, black jersey with a number in the 80s on the front, black shoes with three white stripes down the side, wearing a watch with a grey or white band, his face was covered with a bandanna or shirt.
Authorities said two of the victims stated the suspect smelled strongly of cigarettes.
One told police the suspect smelled bad, while another said he was intoxicated and smelled like Guinness Draught Beer.
Detectives have worked with the victims to compose the sketch above of the suspect.
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month and detectives with the Fayetteville Police Department are hoping to solve this cold case.
Anyone with information concerning this sexual assault investigation or a sexual assault case more than five years old is asked to contact Detective J. Benazzi with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 257-3668 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477). You can also submit information to Crimestoppers by visiting and completing the anonymous online tip sheet. Another option is by text-a-tip on your mobile device by sending a message to 274637. In the text box type "4Tip" followed by your message.
Johannesburg - Disturbing details of a serial rapist charged with 22 counts of rape and three of sexual assault in the Tembisa/Midrand area were unveiled on Tuesday in the Johannesburg High Court.
Alleged serial rapist forced victim to wash in sewage water 19 April 2017 Khaya Koko